Thursday, December 5, 2019

A Month of Temptations

Every December seems the same. Temptation after temptation: candies, breads, cookies, pies, cakes, overflowing buffets, special party treats, drinks designed to please, and snacks that are delectable. What is a person to do?

Some years I’ve indulged in them all; other years I’ve refrained from everything except carrots and celery sticks (if they are to be found). But this year I plan to enjoy my favorites in limitation by being prepared. My goal is to plan ahead to enjoy the treats that only come around once a year, in moderation, and put in the extra work of exercise and healthy meals during the rest of the month.

I don’t know how successful I’ll be but I’m sure it will be better than heading into the holiday eating season without a plan. I’ve found that when I deprive myself of everything desirable, I end up having a critical downfall by eating everything in sight – a mammoth binge. It’s just a matter of time.

This year my preparation will include: 
1. Keeping healthy snacks (fruits, vegetables, hard-boiled eggs) cleaned/cooked and ready to eat at eye-level in the Frig. 
2. Purging the sweet and salty foods from my cupboard so I won’t have temptation staring back at me when I open the door. 
3. Maintaining regular exercise and increase it if I can.
4. Preparing balanced meals by planning a weekly menu.

Planning for healthy eating can be the key to success, and allow a slight indulgence now and then. I plan to make this a healthy, yet enjoyable holiday season.

No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful’ he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it,” (1 Corinthians 10:13 NIV). 

Gloria D. Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment