Thursday, July 18, 2019

Do you ...


Do you …

Dear Reader,

            Can you and I have a confab today?
            How often during a day do you think about food?  Three times—at meal times?  Five times, adding in a couple snack times?  More times than that?
            I’d sure like to know if you are like I am.  It seems to me, I think about food some 18 hours a day (subtracting sleep hours and the three times I eat meals).
            Now I realize some of that think time consists of meal planning:  What shall I make for breakfast?  For lunch?  For supper?
            But much of the time is stinkin’ thinkin’:  When do I get to eat again?  What can I eat right now?  How much can I eat?
            Why do I think about food, what seems to me, most of my waking hours?  A major reason, I think, is that food is a sensual pleasure.  It comforts me.  Eating is something to do, especially in the evening when I am watching TV or reading.
            I am soooooo embarrassed to share this flaw with you, but maybe admitting these thoughts is a step toward healing.  Do you, Reader, relate to me?  If so, what can you and I do?
            Gloria and I have posted various suggestions of God’s provisions for our being freed from enslavement to overeating, and once again as I reflected on this particular eating dilemma, the Holy Spirit brought a Scripture verse to mind:  “…Fix your thoughts on what is true and honorable and right.  Think about things that are pure and lovely and admirable.  Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise” (Phil. 4:8 Life Application Study Bible).
            Is this my answer?  I pray for the grace to fix my thoughts on “what is true, honorable and right” when unnecessary thoughts of food intrude into my mind?  I think I’ll try it.  What about you?

                                                                                                                                    Sharon Witty

No comments:

Post a Comment