Thursday, January 16, 2020

Temptation


Temptation

            For the past five days, I have been “hanging out” with my 16-year-old grandson, while his parents vacation to celebrate my son’s 50th birthday (Gulp! I’m old enough to have a 50-year-old child!).
            Being widowed, I can carefully choose foods to purchase and bring into my home.
            That’s not the case in this home, so for the past five days, I have faced the temptations of chips, M&M cookies and ice cream.  The latter being the worst temptation.
            In one of the reflections I read this week, a featured Scripture verse was Matthew 14:29-30 during which Peter tried to walk on water.  But when Peter looked at the waves around him, he became frightened and cried out, “Save me, Lord”!
            As I think about these verses and meditate upon them, I realize they contain a guideline for living.  How easy it is when the waves splash high and become more and more severe (i.e., problems, worries, concerns, sorrows), life can become seemingly impossible.  How easy it is to be tempted and reach for the closest, most convenient comfort food, whether it be ice cream or grapes to stuff down the uncomfortable feeling.  But nothing can comfort me except the “Balm of Gilead,” (Jeremiah 8:22, NIV) and I must cry out, “Lord, save me”!

                                                                                                                                    Sharon Witty

No comments:

Post a Comment