Thursday, April 16, 2020

Lessons


Dear Readers,

            Two months have passed since I posted to Gloria’s and my blog.  During the third month of March, we had just been struck with the reality that COVID-19 had invaded the United States, had invaded all of our communities.  I thought of little else that week.  Actually, I think of and pray about little else now, but I am a bit more sane.  As I write this week, I don’t think I’ll write too much about food, but share a bit about my experiences during this time.
            Three weeks ago, Pope Francis spoke to the world in an empty St. Peter’s Square.  His message was based on the Scripture verses of the storm that came up in the boat in which Jesus was sleeping, and his disciples became frightened.  They woke Jesus up and said “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?”
            Jesus calmed the storm, then turned to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid?  Do you still have no faith?” (Mark 4:35-41)
            I find myself returning to Jesus’ words over and over.  Faith, I need to have faith during this storm that has descended upon the world.
            And as I pray for faith, I also find myself praying I will learn the lessons God wants me to learn during this storm, and the following poem has evolved:

Lessons

Smaller amounts are enough--
toilet paper, clothing,
dish soap, laundry detergent
heat, electricity,
water and food.
decrease carbon footprint size.
reduce, reuse, recycle

buy only what is needed,
that others can buy what they need.
learn what is really important--
            family, friends, nature, food, water, home
appreciate God’s gifts--
            bird symphonies, greening grass, violas
            budding cherry trees, sunshine, rain,
Life is Good.


I pray each of us stay safe and well.

                                                                                                                        Sharon Witty
                                                                                                                        April 16,2020

2 comments: