Thursday, July 16, 2020

I Scream, You Scream. . .

I Scream, You Scream . . .

Last week four of us friends, one from Fort Dodge, two from State Center and one from Marshalltown, made picnic lunches for ourselves and met halfway at a Story City park.  We set up lawn chairs six feet apart and visited for three hours.  Catching up with these friends during this difficult time was blessing.
            NOTE:  I said we “made picnic lunches.”  During this pandemic time, because I don’t trust the safety of restaurants, I have chosen not to dine out.  Two of the others have made the same choice.
            But I am SO TIRED of cooking, and I sit on the pity pot every once in a while.  During those times “visions of ice cream often dance in my head.”  Ice cream would comfort me I’m sure.
            They began dancing as I started to leave Story City and dreaded having to make supper.  Suddenly, my car propelled itself through McDonald’s drive thru, and an ice cream cone appeared in my hand.        I ate the whole thing—and was nauseous for three hours.  Why?  I suspect  I was too hot and ate too fast..
            As I thought about my actions, God reminded me I need to listen to my body, which the Holy One has created.  I thought of Gwen Shamblin’s wise words in Weigh Down.  God has given my body a thermostat which guides me in when to eat, what to eat and how much to eat.  All I have to do is listen and follow through.
On that day, however, I chose to ignore my body when it said, ‘This is not a good idea.’
            In my reflecting, I am also reminded that God always loves me, regardless of a poor choice I may make in a split second.

. . .nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.  (Rom 8:39b NLT)

                                                                                               
                                                                                                                                    Sharon Witty

1 comment: