Thursday, February 18, 2021

Lessons

 Lessons

 

When I got up this morning, February 16, my weather app informed me we had a -17 temperature and a -36 wind chill (did you know weather forecasters didn’t begin to give wind chills until the 60s?  And they really took off with wind chills in the 70s and 80s.)

 What a year this has been, yes?  Derecho, COVID, and extraordinarily cold temps we’ve not experienced in years.  So how is your appetite during these stressful times?  I know I’ve written this before, but it seems like mine is even worse during this time.  I finish breakfast and look at the clock to see how much time I must get through before I can eat lunch.  I begin to plan lunch.

 And after lunch?  Right.  I look at the clock to see how much time I must get through before I can eat supper.  I begin to plan supper.

 But I’ve learned a few lessons about my relationship with food during these past 12 months.

 The more involved I am with a task I am interested in, the less I think about food.  Those tasks can vary--reading, going through old photos, completing a Bible study. . .

I’ve also learned I need to eat vegetables and protein at my meals, for these foods fill me and stay with me longer.

This next lesson we’ve heard many times, but it bears repeating for me.  Do not go grocery shopping when you are hungry.  So why did I head out to do exactly that last evening at 4 p.m.?  By the time I finished shopping, I was ready to grab anything to satisfy my growling stomach.  Even the beef jerky looked good, and I NEVER eat that (one of the few things I don’t eat).

 The Bible verse that comes to mind in light of these lessons is this from Proverbs:  “Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.  Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths.”  (Prv. 3:5, Life Application)

 I need to trust the Holy Spirit to guide me in how to use my time, when to eat, what to eat, how much to eat, and when to go grocery shopping.

 

                                                                                                                                     Sharon Witty  

No comments:

Post a Comment