Thursday, June 17, 2021

Summertime

 Summertime

 “Summertime, and the livin’ is easy.” 

 A grandson’s baseball games and a granddaughter’s summer league volleyball games are making my summer blessedly busy.

This blessed busyness tempts me to take shortcuts in preparing meals.  So easy to say to myself, “I’ll just get a hamburger, or a hot dog, or popcorn, or whatever at the game.”  Picking up baseball concession food is quicker and easier than boiling a couple of eggs and packing them, carrot sticks, and an apple to eat between double header games.

 Or maybe we say, “It’s so hot.  Let’s just go pick up a hamburger at Culver’s.”  And that hamburger may be accompanied by french fries and followed by an ice cream.

 Now we all know that hamburgers, hot dogs, popcorn, french fries, and ice cream are not “bad” foods, and we are not “bad” people for eating them.  The problem for me is this:  When I eat white bread sandwiches, or fatty meats, or fatty/sugary foods, a desire boils up inside me, setting off a craving for more, and more, and more of whatever kind of food I desire--more ice cream? Cookies? Pie? Chips?  Whatever.

 If we succumb to the craving, we are not “bad” people.  It’s just that we make ourselves miserable, often hating ourselves and taking out our frustrations on others.  I remember that when my kids were at home, they often received the brunt of my frustration after I’d had a binge.  I’d yell at them for the smallest infringement, but it wasn’t them I was yelling at.  I was yelling at myself.

In his second letter to the Corinthians, Paul says, “When I am weak, then I am strong,” (12:10b).  So it is for us.  Through grace, we can be strong.  We don’t need to be miserable, nor do we need to take our misery out on others. This summer, let’s ask for strength the minute we arise each day and have a happy, enjoyable, healthy eating summer.

                                                                                                                                     Sharon Witty

 

No comments:

Post a Comment