Thursday, June 3, 2021

The Comfort of Food

Food has long been a comfort to me. Rather than eating only when I was hungry, I would also eat when I felt empty, alone, lonely, sad, depressed, anxious, ugly, fat, unhappy and more. 

Eating provided a cushion of pleasure for a temporary time. It never solved the problem or filled me up with what I needed. Eating was a quick fix that never lasted. It allowed me to stuff my emotions. Like a balloon that wasn’t tied, they quickly escaped and the desire to eat returned.

 

Somehow I began to set limitations on when I could eat: never after dinner in the evening, only salads for lunch, and only if I exercise. Controlling my eating is still a challenge, but I find with repetition of good habits, it helps keep me on track most of the time.

 

God provides so many good things to eat, and we can find anything we desire in stores. We must remember to choose carefully and be mindful of our eating. Give thanks to God for all things, and remember, God loves us no matter if we eat a whole package of Oreos or not.

 

He has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven and crops in their seasons; he provides you with plenty of food and fills your heart with joy,” (Acts 14:17 NIV).

 

God and only God can fill our empty spaces with what we really need.

 

Gloria D. Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment