Thursday, May 20, 2021

Comfort

 

Comfort

My body cries

for comfort.

My mind groans

for comfort.

My soul desires

comfort.

 

I pour a glass of Moscato,

rummage through my cupboard,

finding potato chips.  How old?

Slowly sip the wine,

chew the chips.

 

Why?

What is buried deep within me

seeking solace?

coveting comfort?

 

After a bad night, I wrote this poem.  As days have passed, I have continued to wonder why don’t I pray during those difficult times, those times when all I want to do is crunch and curl up into a fetal ball? Pray rather than giving into a glass of Moscato and old potato chips?

 What is it that keeps us from going to our Divine Source to seek comfort and healing?  Is it the desire for instant gratification?  Or is it that we fear what we might find within ourselves?  A fear of opening up wounds that have never been addressed, but pushed down, deep inside but at times something causes us to become aware.

 These are times we need to seek God’s love, for no one loves us as the Holy One does.  He desires only wholeness for us.  In Isaiah 41:10, God reminds us “Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.  Do not be dismayed , for I am your God.  I will strengthen you.  I will help you.  I will uphold you with my victorious right hand (Life Application Study Bible).

 

                                                                                                           Sharon Witty                                                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment