Thursday, September 21, 2017

Old Habits and God



Fighting food (battling the bulge, weight management—whatever one wants to call it) has loomed large in my life since I was some 10 years old.  Now, even though I began to be a “normal” weight some 17 years ago (I’m 73), I can eat appropriately only via God’s grace.

My mother baked delicious cookies, pies, cakes, kolaches . . ., and I showed my appreciation for her culinary skills by eating, and eating, and eating the goodies of her labors.

My parents did not show physical affection, so early on, with delicious treats available to me, I learned to comfort myself with food.  As an adult, I know God is always present within and without me and has promised to always love me.  “. . . I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from His love.  Death can’t, and life can’t” (Romans 8:38 Life App. Study Bible).  He is the Ultimate Comforter, yet . . .

old habits linger.  As a widow, I have much alone time.  I must be careful of sinking into the pit of self-pity.  For some reason, this past Tuesday was a bad day, so I slipped into Aldi’s, bought a bag of grapes, came home and proceeded to “comfort” myself, standing at the counter, eating grape, after grape, after grape, ending up not comforted, but bloated and miserable.

But I was able to go to the God who loves me, surrendering unto His forgiveness and love.  Once again, I was comforted.

                                                                                                            By Sharon
                                                                                                            09/21/17

No comments:

Post a Comment