Thursday, December 7, 2017

Season of Eating

Well, here we are. Smack-dab in the middle of the “Season of Eating” - six weeks and three holidays filled with temptations galore. If you are like me you started out with a refrigerator full of Thanksgiving leftovers and a “to do” list that included baking an assortment of favorite Christmas cookies. Bah-humbug.

How are we supposed to maintain or lose weight during this time of the year?

I’ve always thought that weight loss required self-control and discipline. And the reason I fail is because I have none.  Zero.  Nada.

But, the more I read and hear about weight loss, the more often I hear that the problem is instead an emotional emptiness that we are trying to stuff full of the food we overeat. I rarely eat because of physical hunger. In fact, I’m not sure when I last ate because I physically needed food. That is my problem.

So, without undergoing several years of psychotherapy to determine what underlying issue is causing me to overeat, I choose to seek God’s help; I must surrender myself to His healing, today and tomorrow.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled,” (Matthew 5:6 NIV).

Gloria D. Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment