Thursday, October 4, 2018

Back to the Basics

In my efforts to be healthy, one of the top things on my ‘to do’ list is to eat well. It can be challenging if I don’t make a deliberate plan and stock the house with the right foods. I started by getting rid of all the bad, tempting, delicious, stuff in the cupboard, refrigerator and freezer. I have to admit, I ate most of it. 

Then I went to the store and stocked up on fresh fruits and vegetables. Fruit became my new delicious treat.  For the past few months there has been a wonderful variety of awesome fruit: bananas, peaches, pears, apples, watermelon, cantaloupe, plums, raspberries, blueberries, black berries and grapes! It is heavenly. We are so fortunate to have access to fruit almost all year long. 

Next, I stock up on veggies. Fresh crisp lettuce, spinach, celery, carrots, pea pods, cauliflower and broccoli bits, zucchini, cucumbers, and more are a great choice for a tasty snack. The key is to wash and prepare them, ready for snacking as soon as I get them home. If they sit in the bags in the frig, they won’t get eaten at the time I have a craving for something to eat.

Don’t forget to add in good protein. I like to cook up extra chicken breasts so there are leftovers to cut up and put on salads or as an entrée without the extra work. I also cook up hard-boiled eggs for a quick and easy taste of protein.

I’ve mentioned nothing that is new, but sometimes I need a reminder. It is easy to forget the options that are available, so I try to move ripening fruit to the dining room table so it can be eaten at its peak before it spoils.

Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit lives in you? If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him; for God’s temple is sacred, and you are that temple,” (1 Corinthians 3:16-17 NIV).

If we add in exercise our bodies will thank us. It is as easy as starting with a couple of cans from the cupboard as weights. Walk. Almost all of us can walk; even just around the house a few times will be beneficial. I try to do a little more every day. Our temples are worth the effort of time. 

Gloria D. Stewart
October 4, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment