Thursday, November 19, 2020

Food and Nothin' but Food

 

Food and Nothin’ but Food

 

Today I’d like to add to Gloria’s insightful blog of November 5.  She encouraged us to focus on our food, to really taste it by eating slowly.  I read once that we should put down our utensil after each bite and chew 30 times! 

 

The times I have sat down to a holiday meal, eaten quickly and then eaten seconds are many.  Of course, I could have seconds.  Twenty minutes had not yet passed for my brain to realize my belly was full.  That’s how long it takes for our mind to tell us, “Okay, you’re full.  You need to stop eating now.”

 

Since reading that article, I have slowed down my eating, and it has helped me with the amount of food I eat.  BUT (seems like there’s always a “but,” doesn’t it) I’m still not focusing on my food.

 

When my husband died twenty years ago, I determined I was not going to watch TV when I ate but was going to sit at table.  I’ve done well with that, BUT (yep, here comes another one). . .

 

I began to read while I was eating.  Then I progressed to playing “Words with Friends” on my phone--DISASTER.  I can finish a whole meal without having tasted a bite.

 

Admittedly, it’s hard to sit at table alone to eat a meal, yet God has blessed me with food to eat so that I can nourish my body.  A healthy body enables me to serve the Holy One.

 

I’ve pretty much let go of reading at table, and I’m trying to wean myself off “Words.”   I find being present to my food, eating slowly makes a difference in the amount of food I eat and in my enjoyment of my food.

 

We know that God gives us “good gifts” (Mt. 7:11, Life Application).  I need to be grateful during this Thanksgiving time for God’s gifts to me, one of them being food.  Perhaps one of the ways I can show God my gratitude is to be aware of my food by eating slowly and focusing on my food and nothing else.

 

Gloria and I pray each of you readers a Blessed, Safe Thanksgiving.

 

                                                                                                                                    Sharon Witty

 

No comments:

Post a Comment