Thursday, December 3, 2020

Holiday Baking and Temptations

 This time of year can be challenging in a lot of ways: gift shopping and wrapping, baking and cooking, cleaning and decorating, partying and programs. (Maybe not so much this year, with COVID-19 limitations). However, there is one challenge that remains: wanting to overeat on all the sweet treats that only appear this time of year.

     Traditionally, I have baked my holiday cookies and candies in anticipation of a full house of family for Christmas. That doesn’t seem to be in the picture for this year, so I need to adjust my plans. 


     For several years my daughter-in-law and I got together with my sister-in-law and baked our favorite recipes. We had about six different kinds of cookies that we shared at the end of our day. It was a fun way to get an assortment of sweets.


     Though I don’t need a big array of goodies this year, I’d still like to have a tray of assorted sweets for Christmas Eve. I don’t want the temptation of cookies all season so if I bake I plan to put them in the freezer until they are needed. For me, out-of-sight-out-of-mind works pretty well. 


     It is okay to indulge in those special treats we only get once a year as long as we don’t over indulge. We don’t want to feel deprived, or that might lead to a binge of what we desire.


    ”The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him,” (Romans 14:2-3 NIV).


     Let us eat as our consciences allow and be cautious of judging others.


by Gloria D. Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment